When sitting down to write in your journal it can be hard to know where to start. You psych yourself up to write, sit down with your journal and then stare blankly at the page. I know I have wasted a lot of time doing this. So I have developed a list of journal prompts to overcome the journal block!
- Describe your dream: partner, job, house, holiday.
- If you were to organize a dream party whom would you invite and why?
- What superhero/magical power would you like to have? Why? What would you use it for? Good/evil?
- If you had 3 wishes, what would they be? Why?
- If you were to win the lottery what would you do with the money?
- What is your earliest memory?
- What is your most embarrassing moment?
- What’s something you were afraid of as a child, or are still afraid of now?
- What has been the most difficult thing you have done or decision you have made?
- Who is someone you’ve lost? What are some of your memories about that person?
- Describe your teachers at school/university.
- Describe your work colleagues.
- Describe your best childhood friend and your relationship with this person then and now.
- What are your favourite or least favourite memories about holidays?
Write about your first:
- Day of school/high school/university
- Best friend
- Wedding or divorce
- Job or career change, retirement
All about you:
- What is your favourite place, food, movie, book, song, colour, animal, season, flower, and why?
- What kind of day are you having, and why?
- What do you like to do, and why? How does it make you feel?
- Describe your happy place.
- What is your relationship with your family?
- If you have brothers or sisters, how are you similar to them or different from them?
- What are your views on religion or politics?
There are so many more journal prompts out there. Try typing it into google and seeing what pops up!
119 Journal Prompts for your Journal Jar – Marelisa Fabrega
Journal Writing Prompts – Penzu